Monday, December 12, 2011

Reverb11: Days 11 & 12

Day 11: Tradition

How is tradition important in your life? Holidays, special times, cultural...it can be any kind of tradition.

As the year comes to a close I'm thinking about new traditions that have come about in the past few years. 4th of July in Maine with friends and family. Two years in a row with 4th of July in Shapleigh. Much of it spent sitting by the water with loved ones. Beer in a cooler, home cooked meals, s'mores, campfires, boating, fireworks.

It's kind of interesting that as we are only a few days from Christmas and I'm thinking about summer holidays. I think it is because everyone this time of year is so busy, so rushed, and so frantic. In early July the biggest concern is "do we have enough wood for the fire?", "Where's the beer cooler?", and "I'm going out on the kayak...I'll be back by dinner."

What sort of traditions entered your life the past few years that you intend to keep? It could be that you got married and you're adopting a spouse's family traditions. It could be that you  had a child and you're creating traditions of your own.

Day 12: Unique

What was it about 2011 that was unique? Is there something that you are doing in 2012 that will be unique?

In 2011 we went back to Iceland on vacation. We hiked in Europe's Largest National Park. We saw a glacial lagoon for the first time (icebergs floating out to sea). We ate things we've never eaten before (reindeer meat pie). I enjoy traveling off the beaten path--almost like Anthony Bourdain without the camera crew. Even when I travel for work I try to find new places to eat and explore in my down time.

In 2012 I hope to add some unique adventures to trips that are already planned. We're going to Canada in June on a family vacation and I'll be exploring cities I've never been to (Quebec City, Halifax). I'm also heading to Minnesota in February for a work conference but I think it'll be too cold to really enjoy/explore. This year I went to Buffalo for the first time for work. Next time I'm hoping to check out some of the wineries on the lakes and perhaps arrange a tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright house that is near to the city.

I'd love to hear from you about both traditions and unique aspects of this year and next.

No comments:

Post a Comment