Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reverb11, Day 28: Marketing

Marketing. How did you market yourself in 2011? Did you do something new such as attend a networking event? Did you attend a trade show for your industry? How do you brand and market your skills?

Today when I got into work after a very long holiday weekend there was a box waiting for me. It was a wrapped box of cookies. It was not sent to my whole team or company but just to me. It was from one of our best partners who I work with pretty much daily. The ribbon to the cookie box has their name on it (nice touch to spend the extra). Our office overflows with gifts this time of year...but hardly any are personalized. My employer gave a fuzzy blanket with our logo on it to employees and partners this year. It's worth personalizing the gift I think.

As for how I marketed myself personally in 2011, I did the best to take on jobs outside of my small department. I figured that if I did not I would let those skills go a bit stale. We hired a fancy social media firm out of Boston (for lots of $$$$) and that went horribly wrong. We paid them a ton and they just did not 'get' our target market. They did what an intern or someone right out of college could do. They kept making mistakes (putting the wrong date for events and conferences, targeting the wrong part of our market) over and over again.

Luckily we've since signed on with another firm and moved a lot of the tasks in-house. Thank goodness. My volunteering for these tasks outside of my daily responsibilities helped with my review. I feared they would make me look bad because it was not what I really was hired to do.

I'd love to hear from you. How did you market yourself or your business in 2011 that was different than the other years. I had to be a bit of a squeaky wheel to be involved in a separate project. It was worth it in the end.

2 comments:

  1. Hello from 2020! Now without marketing, it is impossible to develop your company. You should know the basic principles and basic methods, it is a very important part of the company's development strategy. Most of the money spent on marketing is one of the main sections of the company's expenses. I speak as a person who has long transferred his accounting to outsourcing to Hong Kong and receive only ready-made reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that marketing is a perfect solution to the business. I think that in this case you can freely use https://wow24-7.io/technical-support in order to make a business plan, to overcome some difficulties in business.

    ReplyDelete