Monday, March 28, 2011

Cleaning out my closet

I have two closets (I know, that's more than the average human *needs*). For the record my husband has 2 closets as well. Much. Smaller. Closets.

I organized my primary closet by color a few years back. This has been an amazing strategy. Like today, I needed a navy shirt, so I reached into the blue section...so easy. I also practice the 'one in, one out' rule where if I get something new I donate something I have not worn in a while. I was not using this rule for my dressy clothes closet. In fact, I had gowns in there from 1994, 1999, 2000, etc. There were a few I could not part with during my dressy closet overhaul this weekend (wedding dress, prom gown). I also got a batch of shoes together that need to be donated to a local charity (I'm going to donate to the local chapter for Dress for Success).

I also threw away some satin bags that were required purchases during a few bridesmaid stints. They had started to break down (hate how satin does that). So, although the new closet layout is not perfect my dressy work clothes (mostly skirts and blazers) can now breathe. If you have an old bookcase on hand (and a closet large enough), my suggestion is to use it to store shoes.

I guess I can count this towards Spring cleaning. Phase 1. Tonight I'm heading to the brand new Salvation Army in Framingham. My Mom expressed concern that some of them take the quality stuff and just put it in 'rag bags'. I let her know that St. Vincent's in Framingham (my favorite one to donate clothes to) does not seem to do that. :) What is your favorite charity to donate clothing to?

No comments:

Post a Comment